Bavarian State Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts

Family Matters

Bringing Your Family to Bavaria

Understandably, international students who are married and/or have children would like to bring their families with them. However, there are some visa regulations you need to consider before you can invite your partner and children to join you in Germany.

Visa Regulations for EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Norway, you and your family can move to Bavaria without any additional residence permits.

Visa Regulations for other International Students

International students from other countries may also be able to bring along their families, if they fulfill certain requirements. You can find out more information and apply for a visa at the German embassy or consulate in your home country.

More information on visa regulations in Germany

More information for international students and their families in Germany

Information on opportunities for family members in Germany

Childcare and Schools

As a busy student, you may not always have time to look after your children. If your little ones are not of school age yet, you may want to send them to a nursery or kindergarten while you study and attend lectures. Your local student services (Studierendenwerke; website in German only) can provide you with more information. There are currently around 600 child care places for the children of students in Bavaria.

If your children are at least six or seven years old, you need to enrol them in a primary or secondary school. Whereas some private schools are available, most children in Germany attend state schools. Their standard of education is generally very high and Bavaria’s schools are among the best in the country.

More information on schools in Bavaria