Bavarian State Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts

Application Process

Admission Procedures

Depending on your chosen degree course there are different admission procedures and ways to apply.

Courses without Restricted Admission

For most degree courses at Bavarian universities admission is not restricted. This means that prospective international students can apply directly to the university's International Office or Student Admissions Office for these courses. Some universities also allow you to apply online through the uni-assist scheme.

There may be different application deadlines for programmes at different universities. We recommend that you contact the International Office or check your university's website well in advance to find out the deadline for your chosen course and plan accordingly.

In most cases international students with a German university entrance qualification do not have to send in an application. They can simply register for degree courses without restricted admission during the university's period of enrolment (matriculation). You should check the university's individual application requirements in advance.

Courses with Restricted Admission (Numerus Clausus)

“Zentrales Vergabeverfahren” (Central Admissions Procedure)

Admission for degree courses in Medicine, Pharmacy, Veterinary Science and Dentistry is restricted, as there are only a limited number of places available. 

The following students have to apply for these courses via the general admissions office, “Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung”:

  • Prospective international students from member states of the European Union, the European Economic Area, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway
  • Students who are not EU or EEA nationals or citizens of Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, but who have family members from these countries who are employed in Germany
  • Non-German nationals with a German university entrance qualification that has been obtained in Germany or at a German school abroad

Visit (website in German only) for further information on the application process.

Prospective international students who do not belong to any of the groups mentioned above have to apply directly in writing to their chosen universities. Please contact your university's International Office for further information.

Application Dates for “Zentrales Vergabeverfahren” (Central Admissions Procedure):

Applications for degree courses that start in the summer semester have to be sent to “Stiftung für Hochschulzulassungby January 15 of the same year.

If you want to apply for degree courses that start in the winter semester there are different application dates:

  • Prospective students who have obtained their university entrance qualification before January 16 of the same year have to apply by May 31st.
  • Prospective students who have received their university entrance qualifications after January 16 have to apply by July 15.

“Örtliches Vergabeverfahren” (Local Admissions Procedure)

Places for some degree courses with restricted admission, such as psychology, are allocated by the universities. In this case, you normally have to apply directly to your chosen university.

Sometimes, the "Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung" is also responsible for the allocation of places. Please contact the university well in advance to find out where you need to send your application.

Application Dates for “Örtliches Vergabeverfahren”:

  • For degree courses starting in the winter semester you have to apply by July 15.
  • For degree courses starting in the summer semester the application deadline is January 15.

Different application dates may apply for certain degree courses. You can find more information on application dates on the universities' websites.

It is advisable to find out about the exact requirements and application details for degree courses at least six months before the application deadline. If you have any questions or problems, the International Office at your chosen university will be pleased to help.

Master's Programmes and Doctoral Students

Before you can register for a master's programme, you normally need to have completed a bachelor's degree first. Universities have different application procedures for their master's programmes. Please check the relevant university’s website or contact the International Office for further information.

Candidates for doctoral degrees are normally required to have successfully completed a master’s degree. When contacting a supervisor, they usually need to provide

  • a statement of purpose or cover letter 
  • a CV
  • copies of academic degrees, including transcripts
  • a brief explanation of how their project is financed and whether or not they have secured third-party funding
  • a short project description

Foreign degree certificates are accepted if a prospective student has demonstrably acquired the necessary skills and knowledge for a doctoral degree.

Visit to find out more on how to apply for a PhD

Aptitude Tests

For admission to specific degree courses in the arts or physical education you may have to pass an aptitude test. Please check course requirements carefully and contact the relevant university's International Office or the Student Advisory Centre for further information.

Enrolment Procedure / Matriculation

Once you have received written confirmation for a place on a degree course, you need to enroll at the university in person (matriculation). The location of the enrollment office, opening times and lists of the required documents can be found on the universities' websites. At the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you may need to pay a tuition fee, if you come from a non-EU country. Otherwise, only a moderate fee applies (around 50,- to 190,- Euros). It may include a ticket for public transport.

Read more on living costs in Bavaria