Bavarian State Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts


Do I need German language skills to study at a Bavarian university?

You need to have a good command of German to enrol in most full-time degrees at Bavarian universities. There are a number of certificates such as the DSH or TestDaF that are accepted as proof of language proficiency. You should contact the International Office of your chosen university to find out the exact language requirements for your chosen degree course.

Read more about language requirements

Why should I learn German?

Learning a new language takes time and patience – but it is well worth the effort! Once you have mastered German, you will find it much easier to follow lectures or participate in seminars. You will also significantly improve your career prospects if you speak a second language fluently. A good grasp of German is especially useful in business, as many international companies and institutions are based in Germany. And last but not least, if you speak the local language, it is also much easier to meet people and make new friends.

Where can I learn German?

If you are planning to study at a German university, you should start learning German as soon as possible, preferably while you are still in your home country. There are many Goethe Institutes or other language schools that offer German courses both in Germany and abroad. If you have some time during your holidays, you could also take part in an intensive German summer course at a Bavarian university.

Read more about learning German

Will my foreign degree or school leaving certificate be recognised in Bavaria?

If you do not have a German university entrance qualification, foreign school leaving or degree certificates have to be approved by your chosen university in Bavaria. If you are not sure whether your university entrance qualification is recognised, you can contact the “Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle” (Certificate Recognition Office) for further information.

Read more about university entrance qualifications

Do I need a visa to study in Germany?

If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a visa to study in Germany. For students from other countries visa regulations may apply. You can find more information on entry and residence regulations on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

Do I need health insurance?

Students at German universities need to be registered with a health insurance company. EU nationals and citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland can register for the free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which entitles you to statutory health care during your stay in Germany. Students from other countries have to register with a German insurance company.

Read more information on health insurance

What is the difference between universities and universities of applied sciences?

Research universities focus on traditional academic training in a wide range of subjects. Degree courses at universities of applied sciences combine a research-based approach with more practical training. This includes work-placements or internships for example.

Read more about different university types

What do international rankings reveal about Bavarian universities?

When you look up a Bavarian university on international ranking lists, you should bear in mind that this way of measuring a university’s quality is usually done from the perspective of the American system. For that reason, the top places are usually occupied by American universities. When selecting a university, you should also consider the criteria which are not included in the ranking: a wide range of courses on offer, the university’s facilities, and the quality of life in the respective city.

How can I apply to study at a Bavarian university?

For most courses you can apply directly to your chosen university. However, for some degree courses admission is restricted or you may have to pass an assessment test.

Find out about the different ways to apply

What are the application deadlines for Bavarian universities?

There are different application deadlines, depending on the degree course you have chosen, the date of your university entrance certificate and whether you want to commence your studies in the summer or winter semester.

Find out more about the application process and different application deadlines

How much does it cost to study in Bavaria?

There are no tuition fees in Bavaria as education is highly subsidised by the government. Living costs vary according to location, as accommodation in larger cities is generally more expensive than in smaller ones.

Find out more about living costs

Are there any scholarships I could apply for?

There are a number of scholarships for exceptionally talented international students in Bavaria.

Read more about different funding possibilities

Can I work while studying in Bavaria?

International students who are EU or EEA nationals (except students from Bulgaria and Romania until 31st of December 2013) are allowed to work as many days per year as they like in Germany. International students who are not EU or EEA nationals are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days per calendar year.

Find out more about student jobs

Can I bring my family to Bavaria?

If you are a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Norway, your spouse and children can move to Bavaria without the need for a visa or residence permit. International students from other countries may also be able to bring along their families, if they fulfill certain requirements.

More information on bringing your family to Bavaria

How can I find somewhere to live in Bavaria?

If you are moving to Bavaria from abroad, you should search for accommodation as early as possible. There are different types of housing available, including shared accommodation, student halls of residence or apartments.

Find out more about student accommodation

Can I stay and work in Bavaria after my studies?

There are many career opportunities for highly skilled international graduates in Bavaria. However, depending on your home country, some special visa and work regulations may apply.

Find out more about working in Bavaria